Art of JR Slattum
1. How did you get started in your particular craft medium(s)?
Of course, at a young age, I was always very creative and dreamt of working in some sort of arts. However, during my teens years, I abandoned that path for something more pragmatic. It wasn't until a near death experience in 2007 that I realized life is fleeting and I should pursue my dream, fiercely. Paint sounded fun and even a tiny bit romantic.
2. Where do you draw influence from?
Most of my art starts with a doodle. No pressure. Just letting the drawing create itself. I sit back and listen. Hopefully, something fascinating appears. What I find fascinating in life is philosophy, psychology, and the great mysteries.
3. What is the difference between PSM and other markets?
It's basically the heart of Portland (or at least one of the major organs). The art, the music, the food... the people... the weird and unique. All in one place. All the time. A distillation of quality art.
4. How would you describe the difference between "arts" and "crafts"?
Craft is the execution and mastery of the technique to create something. Art is what it does after you crafted it- the conversation.
5. What’s your favorite thing in the world right now?
The change in season. I enjoy going for a run at night, when the air is crisp. A light rain. The smell of leaves. Good setting to clear the mind.
6. How long have you sold your wares at PSM? What encouraged you to apply/ keeps you vending with us now?
This month officially marks my 6th year at the PSM! Time flies when you're having fun. I love the excited visitors that are in awe of the market, my fellow neighbors and kindred spirit, and the consistent business that allows me to create during the weekdays!
To learn more visit: www.jrslattum.com